Shortly after experiencing the defining moment I shared in my previous post, my mind was flooded with questions. Is this my way of avoiding pressure and staying comfortable? Can I really fulfill my purpose in life by simply being faithful to my daily duties? How will I ever break out of this rut if I just continue doing what I’m doing? Is this all there is for me? The list of questions goes on and on.
After much reflection, it became clear to me that the path to amazing is traveled one seemingly average step at a time. I cautiously added the word “seemingly“ to that statement because I’ve learned to appreciate the value in the small things. I’m anxious to share those lessons with you because it has been incredibly freeing. For today, I’m sharing the answer I received to the question How does average become amazing?“
How Does Average Become Amazing?
1. Humility – learning to admit and accept our limitations, being at peace with our shortcomings and launching ourselves into action in spite of our imperfections. Humility is not thinking less of ourselves but thinking of ourselves less. Obsessing about what’s wrong with us is just as bad as thinking we’re better than others. In both cases, the focus of our thoughts is “I.” Being humble gets us out of our own way and positions us to have an impact.
2. Community – We can’t do it all on our own; we need others. At the same time, we should feel a sense of responsibility to others. There are people who need what we have to offer and it is unfair for us to withhold that from them. Being in community with others opens doors to individual relationships. No better way to make a difference in the world than one person at a time.
3. Faith – I believe you and I have a purpose greater than our own gain and as such, nothing can stop us without our consent. The day I launched this blog, I was scared half to death, but I’m convinced this blog is more than just something I’m doing as a creative outlet to escape my life. Whether we blog, work a full-time job, take care of kids, or design home décor, what we do is more than an interest or a hobby; it’s a calling.
4. Integrity – Maintaining a higher calling at the core of our vision preserves integrity. Becoming rich and famous isn’t a worthy goal, providing a valuable service that we genuinely believe in fuels passion. Integrity requires us to value what really matters to us. It keeps us on track in our objective to preserve our soul.
5. Gratitude – intertwined with humility and honor, gratitude is recognizing the blessing that out of anyone in the world who could be doing what we do, we have been given the opportunity to do it. We cannot take that blessing lightly. In turn, we give it all we’ve got and use our means to pay it forward.
To reach the end our lives with humility, community, faith, integrity and gratitude is true success. That is the kind of legacy I want to have. That is why I can be content with simply being obedient in my current roles. That is why I can cook, do laundry, change diapers, and write blog posts with passion.
According to our society, my life may seem boring and average, but I enjoy a kind of love and peace society would envy. And just think- God is not finished with me yet! I still have hopes and dreams for the future, but I’m making a difference in the lives of my children, my friends, my family, and even strangers along the way.
My mom used to quote a verse to me growing up:
Whatever your hand finds to do, do it will all your might. Ecclesiastes 9:10